Nourishing the skin from within
It would be naive to believe that changing your nutrition is going to wipe out all your wrinkles or completely stop skin aging. But it is just as naive to think that you can eat (or neglect to eat) whatever you want without any effect on your skin.
So, what do we do when it comes to: What to eat for a healthy skin?
Some simple key points here:
- Have a balanced portion controlled diet that supply your body with Grains, Vegetables, Fruits, Meat and Beans, Milk and Omega 3s oils.
- Includes food rich in Omega 3s oils, such as fish oils (fatty fish such as Cod, Salmon, mackerel), walnuts, and flaxseed. Their anti-inflammatory effect will boost our overall health-physically and mentally.
- Vegetable (especially dark green, orange, yellow vegetable) and fruits (especially citrus fruits, blue berries, berry…) are great sources of antioxidants. In many cases, skin aging is due to the activity of free radical. Intake of antioxidants will fight off the free radicals, helping us have strong immune system and increase collagen production in the skin
- Adequate hydration contributes to soft, smooth skin. 8 glasses of water/fluids is the general suggestion. It may vary, so response to your thirst. Stay away from calorie condensed drinks.
- Finally, but not lastly, use a plate approach- Includes all the foods above on a plate and work on making the vegetable and the fruits a bigger section on the plate. This is a progress you will be making. Eating habit takes years to build and take some time to change.
Here is to your health!